When I was about 5 or 6, I met a friend named Laura. We lived near each other and played at each other's houses often. She moved when we were in the 4th or 5th grade and I was devastated. She was my closest friend at the time. I remember crying in my room for hours when she left. My mom had no clue how to make me feel better.
She visited our hometown every summer for a while. I would always see her on those visits and cry when she left. When I was in the 9th grade, my parents let me fly to Pennsylvania to see her for Spring Break. It was my first time on a plane and my first time to the Northeast. While I was there, the Blizzard of '92 hit and we were snowed in. It was so much fun! I went back several times after that and we remained very close friends.
We planned to go to college together and be roommates, but when time for the decision came - we couldn't agree on colleges. She ended up at Florida State and I at Samford.
We would lose touch for a while and then re-connect. We always laughed that no matter how long we went without speaking, we always picked right up where we left off.
It has been 10 years since I have seen Laura and we don't talk near enough. A couple weeks ago, I got a text from her that she was coming to Mississippi and could I meet her for lunch - of course!!!
Again, we picked up where we left off 10 years ago and vowed to keep in better touch. It was so great to see her and catch up on our adult lives! Can't believe it has been 10 years!

1 comment:
It was so much fun seeing you and just wish we would've had more time. It's amazing that even though we didn't see each other for 10 years, it feels like I just saw you yesterday. That's what true friendships are all about. Miss you and I cannot wait to meet Kennedy sometime!!
Post a Comment